Saturday 31 October 2009

Do You Or Don't You?


Do you have places of interest nearby to where you live? Do you ever visit them? I'm guilty of not visiting places I would like to - I always seem to have something else to do - but it's a shame not to enjoy these special places whilst we can.
In Brighton there is the Royal Pavilion, the strangest historical building that I have ever visited! It's such a strange place that I have only been inside it twice despite living here now for over 15 years. What's strange about it? Well, everything!
On the outside it's a copy of Indian architecture, yet on the inside, it's completely decorated in a Chinese style. Very opulent and grand, but extremely....odd.



It was originally a farmhouse but was transformed into a grand palace for the Prince Regent to live in as he preferred living in Brighton to London. Inside, I can remember seeing the huge golden dragon suspended from the ceiling of the dining room, and the mock-bamboo iron staircases. As I said, very strange!
Within the grounds which are open to the public all year round there is a building I have visited much more frequently over the past 15 years. That is the Brighton Museum.





Currently they have an exhibition about the British Land Army Girls. My Mother was a Land Army girl after the war, so I spent a very interesting afternoon wandering around the exhibition. Afterwards, I promised myself that I would make more time to visit local places of interest .......... hmmm, we'll see!

1 comment:

  1. The RP is an amazing building ...I used to love seeing it and have been inside for a tour. I agree about living near things and not visiting them. When I visited this area I would see as much as I could .... but now I live here I haven't visited many of them.

    By the way ...your little computing area is at least secluded lol ...my computer is next to my bed.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin